- Website performance may slow down
Instead of connecting directly to the MySQL database of the WordPress website, the application controls content over the internet with the help of a special language called REST API. This enables Calypso to be installed anywhere and to connect to any WordPress powered website or even multi sites.
- Using the customizer
- Updating plugins and themes
- Creating and editing widgets
- Creating and editing menus
PHP only comes into action when you click on the save changes, update, or publish button. The admin screen refreshes and permanent saves are done to the database, making it important to click those buttons.
A good example would be a theme that comes integrated with the various different design effects like mega sliders, responsive video and parallax scrolling effect.
Also, if you are planning to add effects and animations to your website through a plugin or a theme, jQuery would be the right tool to do so.
The library itself comprises a variety of methods that one can utilize to create effects and animations. For example, making few elements move and changing size for a full list, deploying and hiding elements, dynamically changing CSS, and adding content.
jQuery utilizes certain simple concepts including the following:
- selectors: selectors, as the name suggests, are used to selecting a particular element or multiple elements on the web page to let you do something with them.
- filters: it allows you to filter your selection, in order to select certain elements (such as odd numbered elements).
- events: There are specific events used in jQuery. The library reacts to these events such as keyboard press or mouse click. The events can be combined with the selectors to create an effect on the web page.
- variables: you can define variables based on values you put, inputs or selections, and then work on those variables.
- effects: Upon triggering an event or selecting something, you can add an effect to the selected element. For example toggling between elements, sliding elements up and down, fading in and out and more.
- Animations: Just like effects, you can also create animations with the help of an animate() property. It allows you to animate any CSS property that accepts numeric values.
The final words:
The thought of keeping your hard learned skills and knowledge of PHP on the back seat and learning a completely new language may be scary. But trust me, it’s worth it especially if you are a big fan of WordPress and uses it for almost your every project.
Jason is an expert WordPress developer having years of experience in working with various web development technologies. Currently, he is working for a leading custom WordPress theme development company – WordSuccor Ltd.. He is always trying to share his intangible knowledge with others on the web.