Nowadays, cloud computing has become one of the most suitable ways to deliver ideal solutions to businesses. But do you wish to know why and how cloud computing developed? In this article, we will do the same to get some highlights about the history of cloud computing.
The concept of cloud computing came into its existence during the early 1960s. And this was the time when the culture of the remote job started generating. Companies like IBM and DEC took some initial actions in the field of cloud computing. And some other companies started offering VPN services without charging much.
Because of the vast availability of VPN, connecting with the network became relatively easy. And finally, in 1994, the cloud metaphor got functional for offering virtualized services.
History of Cloud Computing
Cloud computing was invented or introduced in the early 1960s. And JCR Licklider, also known as Joseph Carl Robnett Licklider, developed this technology. He was an American psychologist and computer scientist by profession. He got the ARPANet project to connect people around the world at that time. Mr. JCR Licklider was born in St. Louis on 11th March 1915 and got a BA degree in 1937. For higher studies, he also completed an MA in psychology and completed a Ph.D. degree too.
With his interest in information technology and several achievements he achieved during that life stage, he got hired as the IPTO head at ARPA in 1962. ARPA is the US Department of Defense Advanced Research Project Agency where he was appointed. From that beginning point of cloud computing to date, the importance of cloud computing technologies has to continue to rise.
In 2006 Amazon also created its AWS or Amazon Web Services and claimed it to be an EC2. It was a crucial period where many companies offered their stable cloud computing solution. And the number of these companies is getting higher as time goes on. Because Google also launched its search engine’s beta version in 2008, and in early 2008 Microsoft announced its Microsoft Azure for the testing phase, deployment, and even for the managing applications.
Google also presented its Google Cloud in 2012, but it finally got available to the public in 2013. After a few times, Oracle Cloud also became available under three parts such as IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS. Currently, there are hundreds of cloud computing platforms available for the ideal users. But as per the records, Microsoft Azure is the most used cloud computing platform as per its market shares.
Reasons Why Cloud Computing Developed
But why the cloud computing platforms were developed and has become the need of the current era. DARPA funded $2M to develop a technology that lets the computer be used by multiple users continuously. At that time the large computers were used to operate for various purposes.
And with the help of this product, JCR Licklider managed to develop a platform that allows three users to use the same computers. And to expand the same task, he created ARPANet in 1969 so more people could use the same device. And in 1970, the term virtualization was introduced, and it became common till 1990 to share multiple files.
So, it can be said that the reason for developing cloud computing was to ensure that many people can use the same device for various reasons.
Benefits of Cloud Computing
Cloud computing comes with several benefits, which we will discuss here. But you must know that cloud computing services got popular in recent years. Because the concern of data security has risen due to hacking and malware issues. And companies are looking for cloud-based systems for more secure options.
Companies like Facebook, Instagram, and other similar companies have hosted their customer’s data on cloud-based platforms. Below are some benefits of cloud computing that will help you understand why cloud-based solutions are secure options.
- Cloud-based servers are cost-effective and easier to handle, even for small companies. Because handling cloud-based servers are accessible hence it consumes less time to interpret the big data. Moreover, businesses also do not require to install large hardware servers for data warehousing.
- It also provides high-level cyber security to the company’s data and files. As remote accessing is becoming a significant concern for businesses, businesses can prevent hacking issues by getting encrypted virtualized warehousing options. In short, the advantage of cloud computing is that its platforms, like cloud storage, come with end-to-end encryption. That ensures that businesses can prevent hacking concerns, and the user also gets security for their data.
- Hosting on the cloud-based system is more flexible than the physical warehouse devices. Because at the time of data migration, the physical hardware components are hard to deal with. But cloud-based data storage systems are easy to handle, and they also ensure simple data migration steps.
- In these technologies, there is higher mobility and efficient connectivity with the user. By using cloud-based systems, the user can access the data anywhere and anytime.
- Updating the cloud-based platforms are also far more accessible than the traditional options. These technologies do not require any manual function to update them. However, earlier businesses used to spend a lot for the physical update of the devices.
- Virtualized solutions also control the prevention of loss of data. And because of it, businesses to normal users can retrieve their lost data easily. However, if the data is stored in physical devices. Then there is not any guarantee that most of the data will be retrieved or not. Hence, it is better to dump all the data into the cloud storage devices. So whenever companies need such data, they can get the access back for the same.
So, in this article, learn about the history of cloud computing. Here we discover some information about the origin of cloud computing and the solutions companies offer to the world. We also learned about the reasons why cloud computing was developed with its key benefits.
Hence, now you have sufficient information about the history of cloud computing with its modern solutions. Moreover, please stay tuned with our other articles to keep understanding technical terms most simply.