The students, who want to enter into the computer education world, are always confused to choose between Computer Science (CS) and Information Technology (IT) and it is not unusual to ask for a student because Computer Science and Information Technology may seem like the same thing and many people got confused with the differences between both. From a career perspective, each of these disciplines demands a different set of skills and a different kind of attitude.
In this article, We’re going to talk about Computer Science and Information Technology in detail. So by the end of this read, you’ll be able to differentiate both of the fields and choose which one is right for you.
What is Computer Science?
Computer Science is the study of programming and computing. In the Computer Science they are focused on theory of computational applications and you will have a good understanding of the theory that how to make computer programs and applications. If you want to make your career in coding or computer programming then you can choose computer science.
In this, you will understand the “why” behind computer programs. A degree of computer science will require a lot of math, because in the computer science we use algorithms that make code work. Using algorithms and discrete mathematics, you will learn to invent new ways to transfer information. Computer Science people are mainly focused on software, operating systems, and implementation. Computer Science students will learn the fundamentals of different programming languages, discrete mathematics, software design, and development.
We can say that Computer scientists can talk to computers. Computer Science people can create a program according to the needs whatever they want it to do and also can understand how a computer works. If the firm develops new software, then he will be working on to ensure that the program executes at its best efficiency and does the job you wanted to get from it. Computer science works on a set of rules, there are three steps to develop an application Designing -> Implementation -> Management.
What is Information Technology?
Information technology is a classification of work focusing on the management and processing of information using technology through databases, computer technology or In other words, we can say that Information Technology professionals are basically the users and maintainers of technology.
Information Technology is used for collecting, retrieving, recording, accessing, and organizing data. It is business-oriented. After the creation of an application, information technology works on application to manage, install, design, continuously regulate, and run it on the operating system. If you want to select a branch for regulating, installing, designing, and manipulating the information by using Technology then definitely you should go for Information Technology.
In simple words, we can say Information Technology is the practical application of technology. Inside the Companies, IT professionals are responsible for managing the company’s IT infrastructure and assets. IT specialists take his computer knowledge whatever they have learned and apply in the businesses across all industries. IT team in a company basically works on such as maintainers in software development, desktop support, and network security. If you don’t want to go in-depth with programming and you want to learn only basic programming or want to work on such as database management, networking, or security then you can go for IT Degree or any other course in IT.
If you will work in a company as an IT professional then you will have the opportunity to interact with co-workers daily and you can also help them to solve their technical problems in the workplace. IT professionals may work with executives and business owners because of construct a technology plan that will complete their business needs.
IT students have not needed to learn advanced Mathematics, they have to learn only applied mathematics. Successful IT candidates have strong critical thinking skills.
Benefits of Information Technology
- Remote accessibility
- Creation of new jobs
- Advancement of economics
- Communicating news
- Accurate and speedy processing of information
Which one is better?
It will be very difficult to answer which one is better because Computer Science and Information Technology both deal with computers. Both fields have lots of career opportunities for a stable job and a good salary. Actually it only depends on the person’s interests that what type of work they want to do and in which area candidates are willing to work at their best. If they are more inclined to designing, developing, and making software, then computer science will be the best choice. If they are more interested in information systems such as works on software, want to help the software to run at their best efficiency then Information Technology would be the best according to their passion. IT and CS both have a lot in common but also needs a different kind of skills.
Note: There are few branches that you’ll see in both the courses such as Database related work and System engineering.
Careers in Computer Science
Computer Science roles are growing faster than other occupations and they are expected to see large increases in employment by 2025. If you are interested in computer science then you have many career options to choose from. In the computer science career, Companies will pay high salaries to you. Computer Scientists have good programming language and information systems analysis that’s why they have also most opportunity to freelance. If you are willing to pursue a career in computer science then following career paths will be available to you:-
- Software Engineer: His/ Her work is to develop software and update the older one software which can be used on computers and other electronic devices (ex. Mobile, Tablet, etc.).
- Information Security Analyst: A Software science student can develop his career as an information security analyst. As an Information security analyst, you will protect and detect data and private information for organization.
- Database Administration: Database administrators use to store and organize the data and protect it from threats. As a database administrator, you have to maintain the database so that the company runs smoothly.
- Application Software Developer: Application software developers design and build programs for making the application for computer and other devices. So we can say a software developer’s creative mind is used behind applications and programs.
- System Engineer: Operating system provides the platform for computers and other devices to function. System Engineer work is design and creates some kind of systems like operating system which can be used for personal computers, phones, and cars also. Here we are mentioning some examples of the operating systems – Microsoft Windows, Linux, and IOS.
- Web Developer: Web developers are different from graphics designer. Graphics designer work is to design the image which can we see on websites and web development work is to develop a website that means write code for making a website function. Graphics designers design the things and web developers integrate those things like images, audio, and video into the web page and monitor the performance and capacity.
Skills Required for a Career in Computer Science
These are some key skills that are important to know to you to succeed in your career, No matter what specialty you choose in Computer Science.
- Analytical Thinking
- Communication Skills
- Problem-Solving Abilities
- Programming Language knowledge
Careers in Information Technology
If we talk about careers in information technology so there are many career opportunities that are very similar to computer science opportunities but as I wrote that information technology students can make a career in networking and in hardware also. Career opportunities in IT are growing faster than average so we can say over the next decade there will be many opportunities for IT. IT can provide a paycheck on the bases of your level of education. So here are we mentioned some kind of opportunities in IT.
- Information security analyst: IS Analyst is the one who plans and carries out the rules and measures of security to protect the firm’s networks and computer systems from outside threats.
- Network Architect: Network Architects also called sometimes network engineers, Network Architects design and build a communication network or we can say Network Architect is the one who plans and layout for communicating data network from the connections between two computers to building a large network infrastructure to connect people across the world.
- Computer Support Specialist: Support specialists make sure that an organization’s technological equipment is running smoothly, this includes managing, installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and configuring office and computing equipment.
- Database Administrator: A Database Administrator is an expert in getting, storing data in an organized manner so others can retrieve the data whenever they want. The data administrator is able to create a new database according to the needs of a client or company. If any problem occurs in the database side, they are one who is responsible to fix that. Mostly the DB Admins work in designing computing systems, hosting data, and the companies who deals with processing the data.
- System Administrator: System Administrator is a technical professional, whose work is designing, modifying & supporting a Company’s computer system. A System Administrator designs and installs networks, including LAN, WAN, Internet, Intranet systems, Network segments, and other communication systems.
- IT Project Manager: Responsible for achieving the project objectives or we can say project managers are responsible to manage the project processes and applied tools and techniques to carry out the project activities.
- IT Consultant: A Consultant is someone who is an expert in something and is providing their services to company or an individual. IT Consultants are hired by companies to help with something their technology-related
Skills Required for a Career in Information Technology
Some skills you should possess to become successful in an information technology field. So the basic computer knowledge is a good starting point for being proficient. Listed below are mentioned some skills, which should be complete in an information technology degree.
- Analytical Thinking
- Project Management
- Software Knowledge
- Problem Solving Abilities
- Technical Skills
Difference between Computer Science and Information Technology
|Computer Science||Information Technology|
“So we can say in a line that Computer Science design and develop the software programs that IT professionals use and maintain. For making a career in information technology, computer science education is not necessary. Computer Science graduates have many opportunities immediately available to them that Information technology qualified workers don’t have that opportunity but IT can be specialized in many different ways. If we talk about work environments then both can vary widely, too.”
If you’ve any queries or feedback related to this article, feel free to use the comment box, we’ll love to help you.
2 thoughts on “Difference between Computer Science and Information Technology”
really a helping statements to help us the beginners for right choice.
thanks a lot