This is a high-level programming language, which is used by database users to access the database.
This is also called non-procedural language because just like other programming languages it does not follow any fixed procedure or sequence for execution. Instead, it allows users to just pass on the commands in simple English text that follow simple syntax which can be easily understood by any user like this: create table, select data, insert data, etc.
SQL, Informix 4GL, and Oracle are examples of 4gl.
Advantages of 4GL
- Now days databases are used everywhere to manage data so 4GL makes it very easy to create, manage and operate the databases.
- A single line command can perform the task. On the other hand, in other languages, we need to write a series of commands (sometimes a huge segment) for the same task, in which syntax and keywords are not easily understandable.
- This type of language just focuses on “what is required”.
- Users need not worry and define “how it needs to be performed”.
- It is very easy and simple to use even for beginners or end users.
- It reduces overall cost, time, and effort.
Disadvantages of 4GL
- This language is only database oriented, which means we can use it for databases only.
- This is easy for users but in backend each query executes a sequence of commands which makes it time consuming. (Not create that much delay and effect)
Main Components of 4GL
- Database Language and Queries
- Report Generators
- Analysis and reporting
- GUI creators
- Mathematical optimization
- To create an interface application for end users