How to Choose Best Laptop for Programming in 2017?

This article will guide you to choose the best laptop for programming in 2017.

As a programmer or developer it becomes really confusing to pick a best laptop from thousands of laptops available in the market. It becomes even more difficult for a person who is just starting programming.

Below I have shared some key points that will definitely help you to pick a perfect laptop for working on any programming technology.

Also Read: 15 Most Common Bad Programming Practices

How to Choose Best Laptop for Programming in 2017?

Image Source

How to Choose Best Laptop for Programming?

RAM

It is the first most important thing that you should look. A laptop with 8GB RAM is an ideal choice but 16GB RAM would the best choice. If your budget is too low then you can go with 4GB RAM also.

Believe me it really sucks working on a low performance machine. Earlier I used to do android app development on a laptop with 4GB RAM. It was so annoying because everything works really slow.

So I would highly recommend you a 16GB RAM laptop if you are a mobile app developer.

Best Choice: 16GB RAM

Ideal Choice: 8GB RAM

Low Budget Choice: 4GB RAM

Processor

Good processor and RAM should be your highest priority while choosing a laptop for programming. As a programmer or developer we have to do multitasking. When I do programming or development I have to open few IDEs along with a browser with several tabs opened. For such purpose a good processor is required.

A laptop with i5 processor is an ideal choice. You can go with i7 processor if you have huge budget and for low budget you can go with i3 processor.

Best Choice: i7 Processor

Ideal Choice: i5 Processor

Low Budget Choice: i3 Processor

Graphic Card

Integrate graphic card is not necessary until you are not doing game development or some high graphics related work. But if you are a game developer then you must go with a laptop with external graphic card.

Best Choice (Specially For Game Developers): External Graphic Card (2GB or 4GB)

Ideal and Low Budget Choice (For Other Developers): Integrated Graphic Card

Storage

SSD and HDD are two storage types that laptops have. SSD gives faster performance but costlier than HDD. Its great if you can afford a SSD storage type laptop. But if you can’t then go with HDD and later on you can use some external SSD storage.

Battery Life

If you mostly work at places where power supply is not available then you must choose a laptop with huge battery life. Otherwise these days almost all laptops come with moderate battery backup.

Below I have shared some laptops that I believe are good for programmers in India. Even if you don’t like any of them you can consider above points to pick a best laptop according to your usage.

10 Best Laptops for Programmers and Developers in 2017

HP 15-be003TU

Price: Rs.26,990

RAM: 4GB DDR3L

Processor: Core i3 5th Gen

Graphic Card: Integrated Graphics

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

Comment below if I have any tips for choosing best laptop for programming and development.

43 thoughts on “How to Choose Best Laptop for Programming in 2017?

1. Krishnan Mk

I think you are missing a very important factor here: hard disk type. I would highly recommend going with a SSD than a huge magnetic HDD. The performance benefit is unparalleled.

Now I have mentioned it in the article. Thanks a lot for your comment.

2. Raman Kathuria

hello!
    I want to have a laptop for programming purpose as i am currently doing BCA.
    required specifications are
    8GB RAM
    Intel i5 processor (be it 5/6/7th generation)
    1TB HDD
    Graphic Card (be it integrated or external)
    My budget is upto max. of Rs. 35,000
    Kindly guide me in buying one that suits best to my needs and within my budget
    thank you!

Hi Raman,
      Its impossible to get i5 and 8gb ram in 35,000. You have to increase your budget to at least 45,000 to get i5. In your budget you can get i3 and 8gb ram and its enough for working on any programming technology properly. You can check the laptops that I have mentioned in this article, these are some best laptops handpicked by me.

3. Hemant Mishra

I want to buy a laptop for programming purpose (not game development), my budget is around 40000 INR. So which laptop would you prefer?

You should by a laptop with at least i3 processor and 8gb ram. I would suggest you to increase your budget little more and get an i5 with 8gb ram, this configuration is perfect for working on any kind of programming technology.

1. Hemant Mishra

can you suggest me one around 40k more or less but should be enough to last for at least next 3 years?

2. Hemant Mishra

Moreover, I wanna know that should I go for DDR4 RAM or DDR is enough to get my work done?

4. Shivansh Mathur

I would like to ask can we ask to remove Microsoft products from laptop and will it reduce the price of laptop because anyways after buying I am going to install Linux in system

Yes you can get laptop with free dos, the costing will be 2-3k less.

5. Rohit

Hi
    Why you have mentioned HP laptops. These laptops have serious performance issues. I sincerely believe HP company should shut down. They are selling laptops more on aesthetics than performance. Their RAM and processor speed is more in numbers than in actual performance.

Hi Rohit,

HP laptops are good, I am personally using it from last 2 years.

6. Morgan Mawila

thanks for the guide.Mine is abit away from the topic.am a student at one of india’s online Universites doing BCA I don’t understand courses on Programming in c++ ,c they are had for me kindly help me with the crues as well as basics to keep me going.The other thing is that was guided to install compiler by the way am using Toshiba windows 7 was to install Turbo c++ 32/64 bit but have failed untill now could this mean that going by lecture have read today is that this Laptop is not good for programming or not kindly guide.
    Zambian.

7. Ike

Thanks for the pointers but for guys who like to work on Linux environment I will suggest the Laptop System76 – Bonobo, it’s amazing.
    Tech Specs
    —————–
    price: $2800
    Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (64-bit) or Ubuntu 16.10 (64-bit)
    Processor: 7th Gen Intel® Desktop Core i7-7700 or i7-7700K
    i7-6700: 3.6 up to 4.2 GHz – 8 MB cache – 4 cores – 8 threads
    i7-7700K: 4.2 up to 4.5 GHz – 8 MB cache – 4 cores – 8 threads
    Display: 17.3″ 3840×2160 4K HiDPI, Matte Finish
    Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070, dual 1070, 1080, or dual 1080
    Memory: Up to 64 GB Dual-channel DDR4 @ 2400 MHz
    Storage: 2× M.2 SATA/PCIe, 2× 2.5″ 7mm height drive. Up to 10 TB total.
    Expansion: 5× USB 3.1 Type-A, 2× USB 3.1 Type-C, SD Card Reader
    Input: Multitouch Touchpad, Multi-Color Backlit Keyboard
    Networking: 2× Gigabit Ethernet, Intel® WiFi up to Wireless-AC, Bluetooth
    Video Ports: HDMI 2.0, 2× Mini DisplayPort 1.3
    Audio: Stereo Speakers + Woofer, Stereo Mic, Combined Headphone & S/PDIF Jack, Mic Jack, Line In, Line Out
    Camera: 1080p HD Webcam
    Security: Kensington® Lock
    Battery: 8 Cell 89 W Smart Li-Ion
    Charger: Dependent on GPU configuration
    Single 1070 or 1080: 330 W, AC-in 100–240 V, 50–60 Hz
    Dual 1070: 2× 230 W, AC-in 100–240 V, 50–60 Hz
    Dual 1080: 2× 330 W, AC-in 100–240 V, 50–60 Hz
    Dimensions: 16.9″ × 12.1″ × 1.8″ (42.80 × 30.81 × 4.50 cm)
    Weight: 10.58 lbs (4.8 kg)
    Base weight. Varies on configuration.
    Model: bonw12

8. Deepak Suwalka

It’s a nice post @Neeraj Mishra. It’s really appreciable. Thanks for sharing it.

9. Prayag Upadhyay

Hellow
    Am not a from the field of programmer. I am from the aeronautics engineering in 2nd. I am thinking to purchase a new laptop so can you please suggest me for the best one.

Also, please comment on the Mac book air, ?

10. Gaurav p.

Always go for IPS display
    It gives less stress on your eyes

11. Shivansh Mathur

would you recommend
    Asus R558UQ Core i5 7th Gen
    If i buy buy i am planning to add 8GB DDR4 RAM and replace the 1TB HDD drive with 500GB SSD drive.
    Is it worth a buy?

I won’t recommend to buy amd processor laptops. After some time you will start facing lot of problems.

12. Rohan

Hi, I’m thinking of getting the MacBook Pro 2015 256gb
    Do you think 256gb will be enough?
    Also, is there any difference between programming/coding on a MacBook and a Windows laptop? Which one do you think is better? (Windows or Mac or are they both equally good and easy to use)
    Thanks!

I think 250gb is enough unless you are storing huge data like movies and games, it totally depends upon personal usage. Both windows and mac or good for programming. If you are not a big fan of apple products then I would suggest you to buy windows laptop because apple may cost around 75K and with same configuration windows will cost around 50k. So you will save lot of money.

13. R k agrahari

Hii!i want a good laptop. My budget is 30000. Plz suggest me

14. Paritosh Sharma

Well according to me, you should check out used/refurbished if you are on a tight budget. I just bought a Thinkpad W520 with 16 GB RAM, i7 2820QM, 256 GB SSD and Quadro 2000M for 27k. It even has seller warranty and other features like full HD display, fingerprint, wireless docking station, etc. which increase productivity. I can still change the processor and the GPU(of same socket), increase RAM upto 32 gigs and setup RAID 0 or even repace DVD with SSD or HDD. It even has a external pci expansion. This makes it more future proof than any of the laptops you just mentioned. Currently I run Debian jessie and Win 10 with dual boot on it.

15. Merna

Hi, would u recommend an asus zenbook 3 with i7-7500U dual core processor, 16GB RAM DDR3 and a 512GB SSD?

Its awesome configuration, but before purchasing make sure read its rating on eCommerce sites.

16. Mohd Mukarramuddin

Thanks that was very helpful for the beginners programmers like me….??

17. Ankit Ahirwar

hi,neeraj thanks for such an informative article

18. Imran

Hi, can you please tell me whether fujitsu lifebook a555 with 8gb ram is a good choice for programmer.

19. Vetrivel

Can u tell me, for jave programming 2gb ram and 32gb memory and atom quad cord processor good or bad for study purpose

20. Sreesh

Hi, I am already having a Apple MacBook Air. I am not able to download any compilers and facing a lot of problems while doing programming. can you recommend any software/Compilers for programming in c, c++, Java. OR Do I have to buy a new windows laptop.

21. Hemang Shrivastava

Plz tell is it good buy MacBook air for programming? I am in 1 year b.tech.

22. andy

I think a game designed laptop would not be bad as well and should be put on the list as well. Firstly because they have higher specs and programmers need a fast laptop to debug and run their program. What do you think?